Re: [MV] Canadian or English Universal carrier?

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 23:48:29 +1200

In message <0DEBEE4818DCD011B70200A024D43F4D031E05@c-mhs.caen.cnet.fr>,
BAUDUIN Raphael CNET/DSV/CAE <raphael.bauduin@cnet.francetelecom.fr>
writes
>Following my question concerning the engine of my Universal Carrier,
>here are the details I used to identify a canadian MKI UC. Perhaps did I
>make some mistakes. Every comments are welcome.
>
>First, the identification is very difficult because the hull has been
>cut just above the tracks and the genuine engine had been replaced.
>however, I have almost the whole right side plate which had been re-used
>in the modification.
>The books I used are :
>- Making tracks

Yes Raphael it's a very informative and interesting book.

>- UC-F1 (Operating instructions and workshop manual Carrier Universal
>MKI*)
>- FUC-02 and 03 (Illustrated parts catalogue)
>
>Details are :
>- It has been made by Ford Motors Company in 1943. (FMCo 43 on numerous
>parts)

That will not identify it as being only Canadian.

>- The steering wheel is made with black plastic (or bakelite). It seems
>that the english one was entirely in iron
>- Numerous part numbers are CTL xxx. One told me that the C is for
>canadian.

I havn't heard that one before, I suspect the C could be for 'Carrier'.
Wally Wheatley could probably tell you that, as he has all the original
part number listings.

>- The right hull plate has all the holes for the mounting plates for
>antennas used on MKI,

Which arial mounting plates, the 'A' set or 'B'set ?

> and the angle iron at the top of the plate is
>turned toward the outside ( turned toward the inside on English MKI).

The most obvious difference between scources of origin are the top edge
of the rear part of the hull viz.......English is just a plain plate
edge. Canadian has a mahogany trim piece all around the external part.
USA manufactured ones have a machine rolled top edge. You will need to
look at whether any holes around the top edge have countersinks inside
or outside.

>- The sides of the mudguards have holes from the front to the rear in
>order to fix lateral plates. I observed on photos that English design
>had just lateral plates at the front.

The skirts (lateral plates), are the same on all three.

>Are these remarks correct?
>
>Thanks for your comments.
>Raphael

The 'Dagenham Buckets', (English), Mk1's had a 65hp 21 stud V8 engine.
The later vehicles of USA and Canadian origin had 85hp V8's.
The radio configuration was dependant on user 'fit out', rather than MK
designation. The most common 'fit out', is what is known as 'Welsh
Guard'.
The most common type of Universal Carriers found are Canadian ones or
the later USA T16 versions. Chris Wilkinson who used to have a place in
St Albans, had many parts for most models (especialy track components),
including the later Canadian 'Windsor', model. I do not know who now
holds his stock, as I know his sons were not very keen. Perhaps Gordon
Macmillan might know that one.

regards

Colin Brookes
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colb@xtra.co.nz