Re: [MV] N0 44 MB

Jeff Polidoro (willys@vgernet.net)
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 23:08:34 -0500

----------
> From: just truckin' in my <gamma_goat@plazma.net>
> To: mil-veh@skylee.com
> Subject: Re: [MV] N0 44 MB
> Date: Monday, February 09, 1998 4:52 PM
>
> >I put the original post up regarding this "find". As I said in my note
> >before, I didn't visit this guy. You were warned.
> >
> >Obviously you called him to find out what he had and how to get there.
> >Sorry it didn't work out, but if he had what he said he had I expect
that
> >you would have been happy.
> >
> >You knew the facts at least as well as I did. I didn't hide anything
and I
> >posted it as accurately as I could have. I posted this as a lead and
that
> >is all.
>
> And please, do it again if you find anything. We hit the motherlode the
> other day... well, sorta. went to look at what was allegedly a "bigass
> milltiatry 6 wheel drive with a big gun on it and and and and". (no i
don't
> know what it was)
>
> Turns out the guy had sold it the day before we got there. this is the
> basic "grampa left me a farm, i want to build apartments, this stuff
isn't
> worth much, buy what you want and we'll pay ya a grand to doze and haul
off
> the rest" ... he had a few peices left, including a set of 6 goat wheels
> and tires in really good shape (50 bucks :) and the "motherlode" which
was
> a plum crazy purple hemi cuda (5k, the numbers match, no it's not for
sale)
> and a ton of antique furniture, etc.
>
> so by all means, please tell us. :)
> -dd

This brings up an interesting point. As they say, "If you've got lemons
make lemonade".

I have a great source of old Jeeps who is a hunting guide in the Adirondack
State Park. He gets a lot of them because they have changed the
environmental regs and you can no longer take your vehicle off-road in this
area, so folks want them out of the shed to make room since they can't use
them like they used to. Some have been at the same cabin since the 40s.

He also cleans out folks' cabins for them and has barns full of the best
Adirondack antiques you've ever seen. These are at least as appealing to
me, not to mention my GF, as the Jeeps and a lot more valuable to the
general public. So much so that we have filled our house with them and are
planning a log cabin on our property to be able to fit more.

The point is that if you develop related interests, you'll often find that
the same people who have collected yards of Jeeps have also collected
antique tractors (found a '41 JD Model L a couple of months ago), wooden
boats, antique outboards, antique household goods and furniture.

I once paid a couple of grand for a 78 long nose Pete with a V8 CAT I found
under an inch of chicken sh*t, behind the barn of a farmer whose "Jeep"
turned out to be the earliest Japanese SUV I'd ever seen. So expand your
horizons, even if you don't collect it someone probably does and it could
pay for your trip (or your legal fees if you decide to sue).

JP