Re: [MV] double clutching

just truckin' in my (gamma_goat@plazma.net)
Mon, 09 Feb 1998 23:43:38 -0800

At 03:44 AM 2/9/98 -0500, you wrote:

>> do any of you standard truck drivers have a prefered way of shifting
>> gears?
>
>Absolutely, every shift (particularly down) of every transmission (synchro
>or not) should be double clutched, if not entirely floated. It's dangerous
>and wear-inducing to rely on synchros and to rely on the rear axle to bring
>the engine revs up to match the new gear ratio.
<big chop>

I just learned alot about "why" i double clutch, and filed this to explain
to others, thanks.

I don't remember the movie but there's an old "grand prix" movie where they
took the nose off the car, and all through the opening credits you see a
bit of track, the front wheels, and the drivers feet.

not quite the same as drivin' something weighing over a ton :) but the
driver is bob bondurant and it's some of the best double clutching work
you'll ever see...

>Sure, most accidents happen within 10 miles of your home at speeds below 25
>mph, so drive fast and never go home.

that's got to be the coolest rule to live by i've heard in a long, long
time...
-dd