Re: [MV] double clutching

Jeff Polidoro (willys@vgernet.net)
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 12:26:49 -0500

> Double clutching on trucks with synchronised gearboxes is nonsense
> and makes more wear to the gear!....

....Have a look in the driver's manuals of modern trucks, and
> you'll read this.
>
> Regards
> Andreas

In the MB scheme of things, what prevents the trailer from passing the
prime mover when you don't match speeds and the engine slows the rear
wheels for that split second before they force its revs up? I suggest you
try downshifting a gear or two on a long downgrade iced over with black
ice, covered with diesel fuel from the punctured fuel tank of the last guy
who didn't match speeds while downshifting and then tell me what you think
of the manual when the engine stops your drive tires and you watch in your
mirror as the trailer (which got no engine braking action) passes you in
the left lane. Almost any driving technique works on dry pavement, it's
the extreme conditions that separate those who actually do it from the
theoretical wonks who write the manuals. I'm on the double clutching bus
until further notice (or until MB gifts me with a new truck).... ;)

JP

P.S. I'd still be interested to look in the trans, rather than in the
manual to see if what they say works but I am happy stand corrected in the
face of more specific, current information which covers all possibilities.