Re: [MV] mistaken identity

Jim Webster (jimweb@SIMONIDES.PRESTEL.CO.UK)
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 20:27:56 +0000

Colin Brookes wrote:

> In message <msg213051.thr-6fb5c123.a2c2a@acsfc-mail.open.ac.uk>,
> the last 'jeeps in original crates', I have seen (and are probably still
> with the same owners if still living), are Lou Jackson at The Rocket
> Site, Misson, Yorkshire. And Brian Hawkins at Hawkspares, Dartford,
> Kent. In 1981 Bill Armitage (of Ferret and Saracen fame), bought from
> Brian Hawkins a Canadian Mk1 Bren Carrier in it's original unopened
> delivery crate. Both Lou Jackson and Brian Hawkins (the latter
> especialy), were not known for parting with their own collectables. It
> is not normaly possible to even get an appointment to speak to Brian
> Hawkins let alone enter his yard. On my last visit about 1990 he had
> piled on top of each other about 10 tracked carriers of varying types
> from Carden Lloyd to T16's. And was using a Humber MkIV Armoured Car
> fitted with a winch and jib, as a crane.

I can remember going in Hawkins yard in about 1980/82 and there were crates
of carriers still there as well as a lot of other military stuff. In those
days I used to take one of our units landrovers and dress in army kit, it
always seemed to get me into peoples yards.. I suspect they had visions of
selling tons of ex-army spares back to the army at a reasonable profit. The
same thing happened going into Pound's at portsmouth - we practically got a
guided tour, mind you I turned up at that place in a Fox and I think that
impressed him.

Speaking of other yards there was one up near Newbury that was based in an
old railway station, the name escapes me for the moment, but he had old
military gear everywhere as well. He had a big old engine shed which noone
was allowed in, but one of the yard workers said he kept his 'world war one'
tank and some other stuff in it. Among the stuff lying about were a couple
of humber scout cars, some halftracks etc... would he sell it? would he
buggery! if you'll excuse the colloquillism.

And of course nearer hopme is a yard up near Armagh that has a load of
Dingo's in it, all rusting away alongside a hedge as well as some QL's
though these may have gone now. The dingo's were unusual in that some of
them were RUC conversions. I must swing by some day and see what exactly is
left up there.

TTFN
Jim