RE: [MV] ferret

dennis P. Nolan (nolandp@aramco.com.sa)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 06:13:08 +0300

Colin

What fluid do you recommend for the hydraulic coupling?

Regards, Dennis P. Nolan
nolandp@aramco.com.sa

----------
From: Colin Brookes[SMTP:colb@xtra.co.nz]
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 1998 11:18 PM
To: ASesso@aol.com
Cc: mil-veh@skylee.com
Subject: Re: [MV] ferret

In message <1d06939a.34e617ce@aol.com>, ASesso@aol.com writes
>I have recently purchased a nicely restored mk2/3 ferret. It runs great but at
>times I have difficulty shifting into reverse. This occurs not only when the
>vehicle is in neutral with the engine running but also with the motor off. Is
>there a problem or is there a better method to shift into reverse.
> Art

Hi Art,

You must bear in mind that the 'forward-neutral-reverse', selector lever
is not a gearbox control, it is the transfer-box control. This lever
must be in either the 'forward' or the 'reverse' positions when starting
the engine, if you intend engaging the gearbox. If you start the
engine with this control in the 'neutral' position, you should not try
to engage the gearbox without first stopping the engine. It is normal
to leave the lever most of the time in either of the motion positions.
It needs a strong positive action and requires a certain amount of
practice to pull straight through form forward to reverse and vice
versa. If you miss and end up in neutral stop the engine and start
again.

Do not use the change speed pedal as a clutch !!

Do not set the idling speed of the engine below 600 rpm !!

Take the engine rev's well up before changing up a gear !!

Hold the wheel underhand, and at the bottom !!

Use straight SAE 30 oil in engine and gearbox !!

Do not drive with a passenger sitting either in/on the turret !!

Ensure the passenger has a seatbelt !!

........You will have great fun with your 'Ferret'..............

regards

Colin Brookes