Re: [MV] 1945 gerry can

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:13:08 +1200

In message <v02140b01b116f0d8a787@[194.125.214.26]>, Mick O'Farrell
<mick@trinity-design.ie> writes
>By the way, Colin - great story about the 'Hansa Lloyd' (is a Hansa a type
>of lorry?) and well worth the bandwidth.
>
>Mick O'Farrell
>(Ireland)
>Miss J - '43 GPW/mb

Hi Mick,

Sorry I can't help on the gerry-can question.

There were a variety of Hansa vehicles mostly trucks. The Hansa Lloyd
1 ton were mostly built by Borgward. My Kfz.17 can be seen in many of
the propoganda pictures of the late 1930's parked in town centre's, with
loudspeakers on the roof and the eagle painted on the side (head facing
to the left), with the inscription.... N.S.D.A.P
Reichspropogandaleitung
Zentral Verlag
Der Berlin

I am doing this from memory as my photos are not directly to hand, so I
might have a slight mis-spelling. The inscription was written in very
flamboyant German Gothic. And in place of Berlin could be other main
early occupied organisation areas such as 'Danzig'. The body on my
Kfz17 is similar to the Kfz.31 Mercedes-Benz LE1100 Ambulance shown in
both editions of Bart Vanderveens book 'The Observers Fighting Vehicles
Directory'.
Exact identification of manufacture of many German vehicles is often
very difficult. By 1938 there were so many different German vehicle and
motorcycle manufacturers, that spares and distribution became a major
problem for the Whermacht. General Von Schell devised a program of
streamlining which cut down the number of different companies and
varieties dramaticaly, ending up with such integrated industries as
'Hansa-Lloyd-Goliath-Borgward', and 'Auto-Union-Horch'. The introduction
in 1944 due to material shortages of cardboard and wood cabs on many
vehicles (Whermacht Einheitsfahrerhaus), makes identification even
worse.

regards

Colin Brookes
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colb@xtra.co.nz