Re: [MV] Quad Gun Tractor?

Rod Diery (rod@rocketship.com)
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 07:08:19 +0800

> Hello!
> I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the British Commonwealth
Forces
> Quad Gun Tractor, which was produced by the Canadian division of Ford?
> They are pretty cool vehicles, and have a V-8 Ford engine, as well as a
> winch built into the transmission that works in the front or the rear! I
> have a model by Tamiya that I am building of one right now, and that is
how
> I became interested in them. I have much information about them that was
> part of the model kit, but I wanted to know if anyone knows any info
about
> them on a "today" sort of level, like has anyone ever seen one???
> Thanks!
>
> Christopher Dudley
> flyrod@int-usa.net

Hello Christopher, I think you are probably referring to the Canadian
Military Pattern (CMP) gun tractors which were built by a variety of
Canadian companies on chassis and running gear built by both Ford and
Chevrolet. You can find out more about the CMP family of vehicles at the
web site listed below.

Incidently, the winch in the CMP gun tractors is built into the
transmission, rather it is a separate unit situated jus forward of the rear
axle and is driven by a short drive shaft from a PTO on the rear of the
transfer case.

Cheers

Rod Diery
Kulin, Western Australia
rod@rocketship.com
Visit the Canadian Military Pattern vehicles page at
http://users.bigpond.com/ROD_DIERY/cmp.html