Re: [MV] Russian Army Motorcycles warning

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 13:36:27 +1200

In message <m0yBQ76-0003GmC@fwd07.btx.dtag.de>, Andreas Mehlhorn
<a.mehlhorn@t-online.de> writes
>There were some Russian Army motorcycles offered to the list members.
>If anyone is interested, here my little warning:
>
>Never buy a vehicle from Eastern Europe, before you haven't seen and
>driven it! Never buy after you've only seen a photo or a video!

Hi Andreas and other prospective purchasers of kit from the old Eastern
bloc....I will second Andreas's warning and add that he probably hasn't
gone as far to paint as black a picture as it generaly is in reality. I
have friends who bought machines from Poland and Roumania, and every one
without exception either cost much more to restore than one could
possibly imagine, or found it necessary to give up the venture because
the remaining original parts had been so badly altered and modified.
Motorcycles rarely have the original wheels, carburetters, pistons,
bearings, electrics etc. Ex WW2 vehicles viz Schimwagons, the majority
surviving were altered for road use by police forces (doors cut in to
them, dash and instruments modified, later engines often fitted etc).
Some of the aid charity's to Roumania and Bulgaria thought a quick way
of raising funds would be to bring out some of this equipment to sell to
collectors in the west. Most got their fingers burnt and found it was
virtualy unsellable on close inspection

Europe is awash with ex Soviet 'Ural', 'Cossack' and 'Dneiper'
motorcycle combinations reputedly of ex military origin. Simple if you
look at it, they are identical often even to the paint job....the
military in some cases just added the odd easily fabricated extra
fitting.

Speaking from experience, with an expected piston assembly lifespan well
below 10,000 miles, I have never seen a Soviet Mil Mc with all original
components. Or come by one bought from new that has made it to 5000
miles without the help of major surgery.

regards

Colin Brookes
Invicta Militery Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colb@xtra.co.nz