Re: [MV] Re: New on list

R. C. Orpe (sgtorpe@sierranet.net)
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 07:50:40 -0800

The M-35 series deuce is an amazing truck. Things you probably want to
have ( that drive the price up of course ) are the LDT-465-1C or D
turbocharged engine, the air shift transfer case, and a hard cab and
heater. The air shift transfer positively locks in the front axle which I
found to be preferable off road. When I would go up in the mountains in
winter I would be hammering through the snow long after the hotshots in the
civilian 4X4s had turned around. I just love pulling those guys out with my
" ugly ole Army truck". It is something close to ecstasy to go lumbering by
those folks who looked at you in disdain just a few miles back as they
thrash around in the snow. Of course that means if you get stuck, no one
can get there to extract you. Chains are a bitch to put on but will improve
performance. You might also think about rigging it for a snow plow.
Noisy, rough riding ,you bet! You need the best hearing protection you can
get, especially when running over the road at the blistering 53-55 mph they
go. When I make the Fresno/ Pt Hueneme run ( about 300 miles ) I figure at
least another hour in travel time. In cold winter areas the hard cab and
heater will really make a difference in crew comfort. Keeps most of the
rain out too.

RCO