Fw: [MV] M37 Carb Probs & "Viton"

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 18:02:37 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: JOHN SEIDTS <john@astory.com>
To: Richard Notton <Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk>
Date: 10 March 1998 14:54
Subject: Re: [MV] M37 Carb Probs & "Viton"

Hi List,
I've forwarded this to all as John clearly knows what he's talking about
and the info is invaluable. Note the timescale is important, the cases
here reasonably didn't connect clearing up a burnt out mess with acid
contamination as you might do in a workplace environment and took many
hours, and several washings, before attending hospital; also, in the UK 999
gets you to all the emergency services.

Richard
(Southampton UK)

>A note about amputation in Hydrofluoric acid (HF) exposure,
>
> HF poisoning is a very real threat if you are exposed, but don't get too
>upset about it quickly. I have treated two victims of HF exposure, and
the
>outcome was not as severe as the two cases in the UK. The following are
>the procedures for first aid in exposure.
> 1. Remove the source of exposure. Brush it off with a DRY bandage. HF
is
>more effective when diluted in water, and if you put more water into a
>diluted mixture, you will spread it around. This is different from the
>usual chemical burn treatment. Also, be careful what you do with the used
>dressings-they are soaked in HF, and should not be directly handled.
Cover