Re: [MV] M151

Mark J. Blair (mblair@gruumsh.irv.ca.us)
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 21:35:20 -0800

To: "Scott Watson" <swatson@jps.net> wrote:

> To register a vehicle in California for the first time the Vehicle
> Identification Number/Serial Number must be verified! I know that
> the Data Plate on the dash is marked with the serial number but the
> California Department of Motor Vehicles requires the frame and or
> engine to be marked as well? I know the 151 has a unibody/frame, but
> I would think there must be more Identifying Marks than the dash
> Data Plate?

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what if they don't match? What if I
buy a vehicle that was built from random parts, or build one myself,
or replace a missing dataplate with another one? (I live in CA, and
would like to get my first MV in about a couple years, so I'm
wondering what kind of hassles I might have with my state's DMV).

In aircraft, I think the number on the dataplate is all that
matters. I know a guy who builds P-51 Mustangs from scratch, starting
with nothing but a dataplate. I think the engines are rebuilt, but he
makes the frames from scratch from brand new aluminum stock
custom-ordered from Alcoa. As I understand it, the old dataplate makes
the plane legally a vintage P-51 Mustang in the eyes of the FAA, even
though most of the structure of the plane is brand new.

--
Mark J. Blair  KE6MYK
e-mail: mblair@gruumsh.irv.ca.us