Re: [MV] m-38 horn/rod switch

SBJohnston (SBJohnston@aol.com)
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 13:55:36 EST

<keats> wrote:

> You may be able to push out the broken end of the rod with
> another piece of stiff wire,

I'll give it a try, perhaps using piece of all-thread or rod from the hardware
sized to fit the tube loosely.

> but disasembling the steering box may be a good idea
> considering the rust you found.

True... my steering is quite "loose" and the steering gear adjustment is doing
all it can. As I move the steering wheel back and forth I see the rotation
also translates to a side to side motion in the shaft which exits the steering
box (to drag link). The bearing for this shaft must be pretty worn. Maybe my
best bet is to try and find a NOS steering gear for the '51 M38 and replace
the entire assembly, then deal with the horn switch. Or maybe rebuilding is
practical. Hmmm...

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com