[MV] RE M211 swap/conversion

Dr Deuce 264-0909 (keith@apache.ENET.dec.com)
Tue, 24 Mar 98 12:58:00 EST

>Wow, they used a Caddy tranny in a tank? That's pretty amazing. That
>tranny can't be all that weak, can it?

No it is a good tranny. Just an older design and it seems not to take well to
sitting.

>So a M211 with a CCKW transfer case would allow the use of hi-lo since the
>hi-lo range is in the transfer case. The manual engagement of the front
>wheels would be a definite plus and it would still allow a Chevy 350 swap
>That's pretty clean. Any idea what a CCKW transfer case goes for?

You could try SECO in Agusta GA. You want a Banjo one

>The DOD must of disposed of most of the CCKW trucks long ago, since I never
>see them for sale except for big bucks.

1956

>But there are scads of M211s
>floating around right now. When did the production of the CCKW trucks
>cease?

Aug 1945

>It seems that the M211s started production in the early 50's.

50-52

>Also, I was at the local NAPA store and asked about parts for 302 GMC 6
>cylinders and they had a full listing of parts available for the 302's, but
>the guy said that some of the military engines were different. Any idea
>how different the civy 302 is from the military version?

starter, carb, dist, water pump, block

>I think someone mentioned

me

>before that the starter was in a different spot, further up the
>block.

Yup

>Is that pretty much it, or are the pistons, bearing, etc different
>also.

Not sure

>So if a swap was made, say a Chevy 350 with
>turbo 400 into an M211 then the low range would be lost as has been said
>earlier since the turbo 400 doesn't have a reduction gear for hi-lo range=

Yup

>You don't happen to know whta the hi-low range reduction ratio is do you?=

CCKW 1.1:1 (underdrive) and 1.94:1 (I think in low)

>The M35's has a 5 speed manual transmission right? Is the high-low
>reduction in the manual trans also.

NO the selection is in the xfer (different from the M211) There are 2 different
5 speeds; direct on 4th and direct on 5th (diesel)

>Or do the 211 and M35's have different transfer cases with a hi-lo range
>built into the transfer case?=

Not that I am aware of

Steve