[MV] RE M211 swap/conversion

Dave Cole (DA_Cole@compuserve.com)
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:12:53 -0500

Message text written by Dr Deuce 264-0909
>>Wow, they used a Caddy tranny in a tank? That's pretty amazing. That
>tranny can't be all that weak, can it?

No it is a good tranny. Just an older design and it seems not to take wel=
sitting.

---- Any idea about what normally goes wrong with the transmissions. I'=
ve
seen a lot of M211s with trans problems.

>So a M211 with a CCKW transfer case would allow the use of hi-lo since t=
he
>hi-lo range is in the transfer case. The manual engagement of the front=

>wheels would be a definite plus and it would still allow a Chevy 350 swa=
>That's pretty clean. Any idea what a CCKW transfer case goes for? =

You could try SECO in Agusta GA. You want a Banjo one

------ I'll give those guys a call. I didn't know that they did parts
also. =

>The DOD must of disposed of most of the CCKW trucks long ago, since I
never
>see them for sale except for big bucks. =

1956

--- Hence the big bucks.

>Also, I was at the local NAPA store and asked about parts for 302 GMC 6
>cylinders and they had a full listing of parts available for the 302's,
but
>the guy said that some of the military engines were different. Any idea=

>how different the civy 302 is from the military version? =

starter, carb, dist, water pump, block

>I think someone mentioned

me

--- I thought that might of been you. That means that it is most likely=

that the parts that are going to die won't fit the ones from NAPA. That'=
not too cool.

>So if a swap was made, say a Chevy 350 with =

>turbo 400 into an M211 then the low range would be lost as has been said=

>earlier since the turbo 400 doesn't have a reduction gear for hi-lo rang=
e=3D

Yup

--- Even with the low range being lost, if a guy was to put in a decent
350/400 small block with a high torque cam and a higher stall torque
converter, that loss of low gear could probably be overcome with the high=
er
torque of the small chevy engine, I think. Any opinions? I know that i=
my 1 ton chevy truck, with a 454/4 spd and granny low gear, 4:10 rear axl=
e,
etc I can spin the rear dual wheels on dry concrete when trying to pull o=
ut
a stump that doesn't want to budge. Perhaps it depends on just how much I=
'd
want to bury the wheels of the 6x6 in mud and still escape. I don't know=
=2E

Dave