Re: [MV] RE: M211 swap/conversion

Ken Weiss (kweiss@wans.net)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 18:24:06 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Cole <DA_Cole@compuserve.com>
To: Ken Weiss <kweiss@wans.net>; MV List <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: Thursday, March 26, 1998 09:07
Subject: [MV] RE: M211 swap/conversion

-- Interesting, is the normal course of action just to swap out the
transmission or have you heard of people rebuilding those tranny's? I've
rebuilt a couple of turbo 350s and 400s, but as you mentioned they didn't
have the problem of sitting for years before they were repaired.

Dave

=

Dave,

In the military's case, they just swap them out. They send the broken ones
to the depot (or manufactures) to be rebuild and then they are sent back to
motorpools for installation. It's a cycle. It happens every day with all
major components. For the civillian sector, it depends on the problem. There
are still millions of dollars in N.O.S. parts out there. I think it use to
be, that for every vehicle that the Military purchased, they required
something like enough parts to build 5 complete vehicles. (???, maybe
someone knows for sure.) But, that was before the National Deficit became a
factor in military spending.
A rebuilt transmission is going for around $900 -1000. At least, the last
time I checked. You could most certianly find a parts truck complete for
less than that. Then, you'd have two transmissions and the chance that it
didn't work and that they had the same problems is slight. The problems with
the transmissions are not rebuilding them, its testing them. There are ways
to test them, but it's tricky. Unless its obviously a broken hardpart,
trying to diagnose whether or not a pump is bad is another thing. Sometimes
the best you can do is put it all back together (using new parts in place of
the suspected bad parts), test according to the manuals, put it back in to
the truck, and it still may not work.

Hope this give you some light on the sobject. Maybe someone else knows more.

Ken
Lone Star -- M.V.P.A.
53' XM211
54' XM105E3