Re: [MV] British Vehicle

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 16:13:35 +1200

In message <891128152.209598.0@hasher.demon.co.uk>, tcb
<tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk> writes
>Hi list
>
>Im a jeep owner - put a few questions around about them already and grateful
>for the helpful advice offered - I'm NOT into reselling (ref previous
>vehicle finds issue) - however I've recently been informed of a place in
>Europe that has a few British and American WW2 vehicles - which may
>depending on the weather, the time of year and if the owner hasn't had just
>been eaten by his neighbour ... may possibly be available for sale.
>
>If these vehicles are for sale I will post the list with details of the ones
>I dont want... however one Vehicle the chap has is a 1943 Albion Barrage
>Balloon Winch Vehicle, complete with all the gear... so my question is -
>considering this is a fairly rare vehicle and IF the guy is willing to
>consider selling it - How much should I consider offering for a vehicle of
>ths type to restore. The Cab/Chassis has been "wet" store the past 10 years
>so needs a lot of work - however the winch gear has been dry stored since
>purchase and is virtually mint (so I am told).
>
>Any ideas would be welcome - Knowing how much people pay for badly rusted
>Jeeps...
>
>Many Thanks
>
>Tim
>GPW '45
>MVT 6555

Hi Tim,

The value of an unusual vehicle is dependant who is likely to want it,
and how badly he is in need of it. A Baloon-Winch truck is very rare,
the last (and probably the only one properly fully restored), fetched
£25,000 in 1996. It is the Ford Sussex body one now residing at the RAF
museum. You may have seen it on the Normandy Tour in June 1994 (it was
hit by one of the TA's German Bridging machines in the arena at the DDay
show Portsmouth, just before going over).

The RAF museum did not have one, and was desperate to aquire it, so the
price was negotiated accordingly. The cost of the restoration of the
vehicle was met by a grateful US WW2 vet (who I only know of as Ken),
and superbly undertaken by Eddy Smith in his usual meticulous manner
over a period of about 8 years. The vehicle was actually offered to the
museum free on condition it remained on public display. The museum felt
it could not be bound by the simple request and preferred to pay for it.
Eddy has recently completed the restoration of an original gas-bottle
trailer which will accompany the truck.

On the other hand, there is an old MV collector saying... 'a truck is
still just a truck'.......which normally means a value of around £1,800
to about £4,000 for something really nice !!!

regards

Colin Brookes
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colb@xtra.co.nz