Re: [MV] M-151 in gov't service

Rick Green (rgreen@mail.datasys.net)
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 01:53:49 -0800

ROBERT GALLAGHER wrote:

> As late as last year there was at least one M151A2 still in government use
> here in Hawaii too. Liason duties, and it looked a bit haggard. It may
> still be in use, but I haven't seen it since early last year. The Pearl
> Harbor Naval Shipyard still uses five or six M274A3 and A5 mules for
> carting junk around the shipyard. They are painted blue, have roll bars
> and other mods. They also have a large supply of spares including sand
> fenders and 12 inch wheels with terra tires, although they use the stock
> tires which are badly worn after years of use on pavement. It appears that
> they will be disposing of the mules soon as they are all parked together in
> a "herd" now and have seen only minimul use in recent months. The shipyard
> also has a WWII MBT they still use! In nice condition and painted orange
> (faded). There are still some orphans out there!
>
> Bob
> >
> > Anybody know if the M-151 is making a comeback, or is this just an
> isolated
> > thing?
>
> ===
The Air Force base here in Valdosta Ga. AKA Moody AFB still uses at
least 2 M151A2s. I have seen them in use in the past week or so. They
are mainly used to cart the base commander around and do other odd
jobs.
Jason

Sadly, there are about 50 more there too, being shreaded by the old
A-10s on the firing range, just about a year ago, I watched as a
beautiful M114 was turned into swiss cheese by one A10. It is a shame
what they are doing to the vehicles.