Re: [MV] Regearing the diffs on an M-715/725

ROBERT GALLAGHER (hooterdog@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 16:30:56 -1000

Probably has a lot to do with the lame engine they put in the thing.
Cheaper to buy a low power engine and big gears than to buy a resonably
powered engine and sane gearing. With the sluggish 6 cylinder and 5:87
gears, the truck could still be loaded to capacity and make it (ever so
slowly) up a hill. 4:56 gears would have been more of a challenge for the
little engine. And of course with the military, speed is of little
concern.

Bob

> List,
> Can someone explain to me why you need a 5:87 gear ratio? I could see
the need if you wanted to spin 55" tires, but for off-road it seems that a
4.56