Re: [MV] Land Rover Questions

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 23:36:47 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: DARYL LEHMAN <DLehman1@compuserve.com>
To: MV List <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 01 April 1998 20:06
Subject: [MV] Land Rover Questions

>Well I am still doing my "home work" on what MV to acquire.
>Does anyone have experience on the classic Land Rover MV ?
>LWB or SWB matters not.
>Basic questions are operating problems,repairs and access to parts ?
>Any experience with ones that can be obtained either from UK or Aust ?

Hi All,

Firstly not every Landie thats OD is ex-mil, at one time the model T
practice existed; any colour you like so long as its OD. (When OD = gloss
dark bronze green)

Landies are rust-buckets, "good original condition" will likely mean you can
see the road through the floor, the door pillar lowers will be gone, the
chassis out-riggers, spring hangers and rear cross-member likewise; all easy
enough to fix with abundant cheap parts - in the UK.

Most will have seen further agricultural service after the military and
possibly any number of non-standard combinations of engines and gearboxes
from various models that can be readily persuaded to fit; ignoring the
maintenance on the front axle seems to be a common practice too.

The odd 4x2 version is definitely ex mil, as is the forward control
(cab-over) 101 and this is often in LHD and generally quite expensive, later
LWB's are generally in 24V mil guise.

Some serious detail homework is required and a close study of the various LR
sites/lists/free ads on the net will produce useful information.

A definite case of caveat emptor.

Regards,

Richard
(Southampton UK)