Re: [MV] 12 volt to 24 volt

SBJohnston (SBJohnston@aol.com)
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 20:05:10 EDT

Kerry wrote:

>Can anyone tell me if or how to hook an electric winch to a
>24 volt system. Can I or do I need to buy a 24 volt winch?

I assume in the first case you mean a 12 vdc winch... If your vehicle is
equipped with two 12 volt batteries in series, I would just connect the winch
across the bottom battery in the circuit -- the battery whose negative
terminal is connected to the chassis. You could use a dash panel switch to
key a relay/contactor rated for the current drawn by the winch to turn the
winch motor on and off.

A 24 volt winch would probably be better for several reasons: authenticity,
cheaper as surplus (sometimes), and half as much current draw (compared to
12v).

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com