[MV] Electric winches

Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 11:45:51 +0200

shantyboat schrieb:

> Don't do it. Electric winches aren't much count anyway. Ever see the
> military use them? If you want a winch that works, go pto or hydraulic.

In Germany all commercial wreckers use electric winches to tow broken
down cars on their platform trucks. Ok, these are 24V winches and not
those from the DIY-store.

The army likes electric winches much more than hydraulic winches:
In our area is a company who builds mobile antenna masts, most for
civil and military use worldwide. The small ones are on one axle
trailers (4 tons total weight), the big ones are on four axle (8x8)
trucks with 32 tons total weight. For civil use these masts were
equipped with hydraulic winches. The army prefers electric winches,
even if they are much more expensive.
They say, hydraulic equiment causes trouble, when stored over a long
time.

Regards
Andreas
=20