Re: [MV] 12/24v

Jim Davidson (datadoc@fda.net)
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 19:01:30 -0700

<snip>>
>The huge M26 had a 1,090 ci engine. 12 volt system.
>Many heavy trucks with incredibly large engines had 6 or 12 volt systems.
><snip>

Agreed. Another argument for the higher voltage is the size of the cables
and connectors. The lower the voltage, the more current is required for an
equal amount of wattage (power). So, a 24v starter motor can be more compact
than a 6v one, simply because the wire in it can be smaller. But they can
certainly be made to develop equal power.

Also, at 24v the connections are much more reliable. If you have a dirty
connection that develops a drop of say 1 volt, that's much more significant
in a 6v system than in a 24v system. I'd bet (yeah, just speculation, but
what the heck) that the reliability was a factor for standardizing on 24v
versus 12v for MVs.

JIM :)