[MV] RE M151 cornfusion

Dr Deuce 264-0909 (keith@apache.ENET.dec.com)
Thu, 16 Apr 98 06:47:52 EDT

"Rich Sherman"

>I have an M151A2 am I love it. It is used mostly on dirt roads (logging
>roads) and short trips, less than 50 miles. I have never had a problem and
>it is the best riding vehicle I ever used on these old dirt roads. Very
>easy to work on, and a lot of fun to drive.

Like I said, they have a nice ride for a little crackerbox. Off road, the lack
of rocker panel clearance is a problem.

I have an M151A2. I refer to it a an M series (POS) Piece Of S (doo doo).
I am an engineer and I will tell you why from an engineering point of view why
it is a POS from my experience and others:

- Hypoid differentials that are very noisey

- Noisey rear differential hard mounted to the floor.

- Steering gear box with a non-tapered filler plug. It just keeps screwing into
the box until it falls in...

- U-Joints that are special (for no reason other than NIH) that must be bought
from a MV parts supplier

- Rear shocks for the A2 that are different from all the hundreds of shocks out
there in the real world.

- Exhaust manifold flange gasket that is a size different from anything else out
in the real world

- Transmissions, most of which even brand new that will not synchronize in 3rd.

- Sheet metal manifold for entering cold water. Unfortunately, the clamps over
the manifold have no provisions for expansion and tend to break the mounting
bolts off when entering water.

These are some of the reasons. I am sure I will find others...

And yes with the mil tires, you MUST watch the tire pressure. A couple of
pounds changes the whole handling of this vehicle, though I suspect good radial
HD truck tires would make a marked difference.

Steve