Re: [MV] old fire extinguisher

John Edwards (ozjeep@hutch.com.au)
Wed, 22 Apr 98 08:21:09 PDT

To Hayes-Holgate, Richard Notton & List,

Richard's comments as shown below are worth being aware of:
> These types are filled with carbon tetrachloride liquid which produces
> phosgene gas when heated, another WWI nasty more commonly known as must=
ard
> gas.

Early Pyrene's had a compound called CARBON TETRACHLORIDE (C-CL4). It is =
very nasty stuff if INHALED. The chlorine component rips your lungs out =
& that's one reason why its use was stopped. You know the story, the car =
was saved & the people died.

I hope that your extinguisher had been used in its past life & is not ful=
l.

However, if full you can discharge it, under/into water. The colour & =
size of it make it really attractive to kids, so watch out !

Carbon Tet.. is not Carbonyl Chloride, which is PHOSGENE. So the neighbou=
rhood & family is relatively safe.

Using a mask & gloves to be safe, fully submerge the unit & stroke the =
handle until extinguisher is empty. A white chalky substance will be seen=
to emerge. Keep pumping until the pump is empty, no disharge.

The solution in the bucket should now be a mild acid and an carbon tetrox=
ide derivative. Any chemists out there please confirm. This is stable and=
can be disposed of (please check local ordnances on this one).

Once discharged, there may be a slotted screw that will allow access to =
the storage chamber. At this point open & flush with clean water, or leav=
e it in a soapy bucket of water over night, just to be safe.

Once cleaned & dry, start polishing.

Rgds,

John.