Re: [MV] [Fwd: 5-ton help for a newbie]

Mark C. Johnson (mcj115@email.psu.edu)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:32:06

Oh, and
>did I mention the commercial driver's license required to drive it!!!!!

To my understanding of the law you only need a CDL if it is a commercial
vehicle. So if the truck is for personal use you do not need a CDL. The
line between personal and commercial is a touchy line most of the time. An
example of personal use would be moving from Pa to NJ, you would borrow a
friends rig wich may be a commercial vehicle to move your stuff. You could
drive the truck legally with a regular license since it is personal use.
This does not mean that a cop could not hassle you though. These quirks in
the law are nice for some things. For me I am 18 and have a Class B
without air brakes, also since I am under 21 I cannot drive a truck legally
out of Pa. For personal use I can drive any truck anywhere even with air
brakes, with restriction of Haz-Mat. This is my personal understanding of
the law, others may interpret it different.

Mark C. Johnson
1952 M38A1 (2)
M-416
Harrisburg Pa