Re: [MV] DMV question

Edward Greeley (etgreeley@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 13:48:17 -0500

Rob Hoyt wrote:

> I seem to remember in New York state any pickup was tagged as commercial, no
> exceptions.
> Rob

Quite correct; I lived in upstate NY for 18 years, leaving in late '92.
Drove a pickup the whole time - mandatory registration as "commercial".
Also had for several years an ex-Air Force field ambulance built on a 65
Dodge W-200 chassis. Same deal: mandatory commercial registration. As
for insurance, light trucks like those are rated pretty much the same as
passenger autos; the rate is determined by distance driven to
work/school, number of days per week driven, estimated total mileage per
year, location where most of the driving is done, etc. A CDL is not, of
course, required to drive light trucks such as pickups; a regular NYS
Class 5 license is all that's required. That's the same license that Joe
Blow has to drive his Crown Vic.

Ed Greeley