Re: FW: [MV] Amphibious Kettenkrad trailer

Geoff Winnington-Ball (whiskey@netwave.ca)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 20:30:31 -0400

Shaun,

They did indeed. These were called 'Duplex Drive' (or DD) tanks, not only
because of the shrouds, but because they had a rudimentary propeller-driven
propulsion system as well, to get them to the beach. The idea was when the
tanks encountered a solid bottom on the beach itself, they would drop the
shroud, cut over to track propulsion, and roar in fighting. The truth is
that many of them, if not most, were lost in the heavy surf on D-Day.
However, some did make it to the beach, and were of inestimable help in the
early going before subsequent waves of troops and vehicles could be landed.

There's a complete DD Sherman at Bovington. I don't know about your museum
in France, but it sounds fascinating! Email me with the info, if you would.
I've done a little diving, and I've always fantasized about exploring the
Channel floor...

Regards, Geoff