Re: [MV] M37 ?s

Brian Redick (B-Man@Wesnet.com)
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 13:28:09 -0400

I used to work as a filler metal test welder for Hobart Brothers
Company/ITW Welding group. The method I use for cast iron manifold
repair is to first drill the ends of the crack with a 1/8 drill bit,
then heat the manifold up in an oven cabable of reaching at least 400F
and leave it soak for a couple of hours. Then remove it and weld the
crack, using the lowest possible heat input on the welding machine, and
using a high nickel content welding rod. I have actually welded jeep
manifolds back together after completely cracking in half, using a
Hobart Handler 120 wire machine, with self shielding .035 diameter
wire. The manifold's don't usually require any machining provided you
align the peices as close to perfect as possible. So far none of them
have come back for repair.

Brian Redick