Re: [MV] Amphibious Kettenkrad trailer

tcb (tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 23:02:22 +0100

Hi

Museum is called the "Wrecks Museum" or such like in French - quite
interesting - but I thought it was rather costly considering what they had.

The trouble with Normandy is it's getting too commercial - I noticed last
year that some of the fortifications have been repaired to make them "look
better"???, and the shell holes filled in.... I picked up some bit of German
Radar at Douvres last year which had always been a favourite due to its
original condition (including mines in some places) - horrified to find the
whole place landscaped with paths and BBQ site... still some of the secrets
are still there :-)))).

If you want old style museums then the ones around the Falaise area are
really great, the kit to see is amazing and the access to Armour, allied and
german is still "hands on". In the Falaise area we got an MG34 spare parts
kit, german Mess Tins, K98 Mauser, Sherman Tracks, Ammo boxes, and other
personal bits... all found WITHOUT the aid of a metal detector... oh and a
couple of SMI35 bouncing mines (left untouched!!!). One Museum had a stack
of .30 Cal's all (apparently) harvested that year. Considering the losses
suffered by the German army in this area, it's hardly suprising the amount
of kit kicking around.... but the Armour makes it worth the effort. I cannot
remember the names of the museums we went to - One was in Falaise, another
in Trun, the other somewhere else... however we did all this by Jeeps and
GMC, in one day, starting and ending near Bayeux.

Sorry - I rambled away from the point a bit - whatever that was....

Tim Bell
GPW 45
MVT 6555

The Sherman mentioned had the Duplex Drive equipment - of which a great
example can be seen in the Bovington Tank Museum, in Dorset.