Re: [MV] wanted MB/GPW

Jim Rice (jimrice@iamerica.net)
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 21:35:45 -0500

Jason,

Good luck finding one. One in reasonably decent condition will likely
run mcu more than $1000. Considering your location/climate and the
years of neglect most have faced, a decent one in NYS will be expensive.

Even here in dry southwest Oklahoma where vehicles don't rust very
quickly, fifty year old plus vehicles are in pretty poor condition. One
in what you call pretty decent condition will usually run around
$1000-1500 unless you find someone that just doesn't know what he has.
The last decent one anyone in my group bought cost $2500. The last
couple of restorable, but sad condition ones cost $500 each and one of
those really should have been selling for about $1000.

The purpose of this message is not to discourage you. This is a fun and
fulfilling hobby, but the days of cheap WWII jeeps are pretty much past.
If you really want an MB or GPW, you will have to either save until you
can spend somewhat more on the initial purchase, or invest the time to
learn some restoration skills and buy a project that is within your
price range. You will learn a great deal about mechanics and bodywork,
but you will be very proud of your completed project because you have
restored it yourself.

I am completing the refurbishment of a 1967 M151A1 following a ground up
restoration of a 1943 Ford GPW. Prior to that, I refurbished a 1953
M38A1. I really enjoy the hobby....but it is somewhat expensive. If
you really want one though, you will figure a way to get one and then
you will be addicted!

Good Luck,

Jim Rice
'43 Ford GPW