RE: [MV] DRILLING CAST IRON

Frank Robertson (Tankdriv@gte.net)
Tue, 5 May 1998 20:45:48 -0500

Cast is very soft. When you drill your holes to tap drill them as small as possible. also use a good tap oil to clear the tap.

_______
_/_______\_
_/|___|_|___|\_
/ [___] [___] \ FRANK ROBERTSON
/\_ [o] [o] _/\ Memphis, Tn USA
|w||_________||w|
|w|\u u/|w|
|w| \_______/ |w|
[w] [w]

Tankdriv@gte.net
http://home1.gte.net/tankdriv/index.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Masse [SMTP:mmasse@islc.net]
Sent: Monday, May 04, 1998 10:37 AM
To: MIL-VEH List
Subject: [MV] DRILLING CAST IRON

I am considering installing an oil cooler and (electric) pump on my M715
transfer case--The thing just gets too hot. I sweat while driving the truck
in 70 degree weather (but still freeze in the winter).

I know that welding cast iron is tricky at best. Does anyone know if
drilling holes in cast iron requires any special tools, skills, or
techniques?

--Mark Masse
1967 Kaiser M715