Re: [MV] 1951 M-37

Alan Bowes (inbox@todacosa.com)
Sat, 09 May 1998 15:26:03 -0600

Jock J. Jones wrote:

> I'm a new member and I have a 51 M-37.Sometimes, the gas pedal acts like
> it has ben disengaged,just when coasting on a down grade. Could the
> governor be the
> problem?

Let me make sure I understand what you're saying:

Are you saying that the throttle seems to stick in the idle position?

And it happens only when coasting down a hill? And did you really mean
"coasting" as with the clutch pushed in? Or do you just mean when
driving down a hill and letting the engine's compression hold the
vehicle back?

As to the throttle sticking at idle, the most common cause is a loose or
misaligned throttle valve plate, which gets wedged in the throttle body
throat. The throttle plate is opened ONLY by the governor spring (there
is no direct connection with the throttle lever), so if there is any
wedging, the spring may not have enough tension to pull the plate open.

As to it occurring when going downhill, perhaps if it is a "borderline"
condition, the extra manifold vacuum from using the engine's compression
for braking might help wedge the plate a little more tightly. Just a
theory. I'd have to hear more details about the symptoms.

By the way, in case anyone is interested, I put the last two articles
that I wrote (on Carter ETW1 carb and governor overhaul) on my website
(reproduced with permission from Military Vehicles Magazine). The
articles may take a minute to download, since I haven't had time to
shrink all of the images yet and there are still a few larger pictures.

http://todacosa.com/M37-PW-Central.htm

See the "How-To Department."

Regards,

Alan