Re: [MV] M-715

Winne, Jim (jwinne@nettally.com)
Mon, 25 May 1998 00:25:15 -0400

Hi All M-715 fans,

Mark hit the nail square on the head. I had lots of little things on his
list to deal with as a newbie. Through the combined experience and
generosity of the list I have ironed out all of the major bugs in the truck
and only have little things left to deal with. I still have to chase the
firemen out of the blackout lighting system. some of my problems were:

----------
> From: Mark Masse <mmasse@islc.net>
> To: MIL-VEH List <mil-veh-digest@skylee.com>
> Subject: Re: [MV] M-715
> Date: Saturday, May 23, 1998 13:49 PM
>
> Bruce & Jo,
>
> If I had to do it all over again, here's what I would look for when
buying
> an M715:
>
> Starting from the rear:
>
> -Check for original tailgate (HARD to find on M715s that were turned into
> fire trucks)
BOUGHT USED ONE, $100 JOHN BOOTH

> -Check for troop seats and rear canopy bows
FOUND METAL PARTS (PARRAMORE, $20) AND MADE NEW WOOD PARTS FROM PRESSURE
TREATED DECKING, $25

> -Check rear wheel cylinders for leakage or frozen condition
MINE HAD RED CLAY IN THE WHEEL CYLINDERS AND JUST BARELY WORKED.
> -Check rear brake shoe condition (It'll cost you $90 to reline all the
> brakes yourself (if you have the tool for the rivets) or $160+ core to
get
> remanufactured shoes--not cheap)
I HAD TO REPLACE ALL OF MINE AND ALL FOUR DRUMS...OUCH!

> -Check parking brake on transfer case for wear, and to make sure all the
> parts are there.
BAND AND SHOE HAD TO BE REPLACED, BAND BADLY RUSTED

> -Check the cab corners, pan, and sill (rocker) panels for rust.
LH SIDE CAB CORNER AND FLOOR PANS BADLY RUSTED

> -Check the roll up windows for good rubber seals and tracks (especially
> where the roll up window slides up and down inside a track in the fixed
> window. If this seal/track is shot or non-existent, an annoying rattle
will
> result as the roll up windot rattles back and fourth in the fixed window
> track.
WEATHERSTRIPING IN TRACKS GONE, STILL NO SOURCE, DOOR WEATHER STRIPING IN
BAD SHAPE TOO

> -Check for seat belts.
ADDED MIL RETROFIT KIT FROM A SURPLUS DEALER

> -Check condition of cab canvas and snaps.
NEW AFTERMARKET...BLACK CANVAS

> -Check condition of windshield seal (between bottom of windshield and
hood
> of truck)
NOS MEMPHIS EQUIPMENT...$30 NEW WINDSHIELD FRAME, OLD ONE RUSTED OUT $75
JOHN BOOTH

> -Check windshield wiper motors (hopefully converted to electric instead
of
> vaccuum)
GAMMA GOAT WIPER KIT...$20EA

> -Check engine compression--150 is where a new/rebuilt 230 engine should
be.
> YOU DO NOT WANT TO REBUILD THIS ENGINE--MAKE SURE IT'S GOOD.
NEW (REBUILT) DISTRIB. A B LINN $99

> -Check for oil leaks especially around the timing cover-to-block seal.
USED (NEW COND) TIMING CHAIN COVER, WIGGINGTON SURPLUS $40

> -Check for blue smoke/burning oil. Again, YOU DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO
> REBUILD THIS ENGINE.
MARVEL MYSTERY OIL AND 5 NEW OIL FILTERS TO GET CRUD OUT OF ENGINE.
LOOSENED RINGS UP AND REMOVED SLUDGE. HAD VALVE JOB DONE WITH NEW BRONZE
VALVE GUIDES $325

> -Check for a heater--it would have been installed from a civillian truck.
NEW HEATER CORE, NOS, C&H SURPLUS $29

> -Check for radiator leakage.
FIRST THING THAT FAILED, $300 AT TRUCK RAD SHOP

> -Check front bumper for rust.
ALSO BENDS AND DENTS

> -Check body for overall condition/rust.
WASH OUT ALL REMAINING BEACH SAND FROM ROCKER PANNELS AND TREAT WITH
"OSPHO" OR "EXTEND"

> -Check all wiring for cracking/rubbing.
REMOVE FIREMEN'S SPLICES AND CLUDGES

> -Check condition of the rims.
BUY SPARE, PARRAMORE & CO, $50

> I paid $3500 for my truck and it suffered from many of the above
mentioned
> problems. I paid too much for my truck, considering what it cost to
correct
> the problems. It's a great truck when properly repaired, though.
>
> If the truck you're looking at passes all the tests above, I'd pay up to
> $4000 for it (if it looked and drove good). This is only MY opinion,
I COULDN'T AGREE MORE

> Hope this helps.
>
> -Mark Masse
> 1967 Kaiser M715

Mark and I have has alot of similar problems with this vehicle. I think
these are areas to suspect on any used M-715. Be prepared to invest a
couple thousand in the truck and you will have a fine vehicle. If you need
advice or parts sources poll the list...there is a lot of experience out
there!!! Happy Hunting.

Jim 1967 M-715 cargo truck
MVPA#17216