[MV] Instructions for MB/GPW hand-crank?

A.Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Thu, 28 May 98 09:00 +0100

>>Any tips on technique?
>
>I've always wondered why no TM manual gives instructions on hand
>cranking. Anyone ever see such instructions in any WWII manuals?
>
>Daryl
>D&L Bensinger mitymite@juno.com

There are a lot of tricks (right word?) and instructions, which you
don't find in any manual. Those things were common sense in those
times.

Since there are no hand cranks on the vehicles any more, this knowledge
fades away.

You find instructions for hand cranking in driver's handbooks of the
20s and early 30s. Most important thing was to put the manual ignition
timing lever on "late". If you hand crank and the lever ist still on
"early", this can seriously damage your health.

The other important thing was to put the thumb on the same side of the
crank grip as the other fingers. So the crank can flip out of your hand
when the engine starts, without cracking your thumb bones.

Regards from Germany
Andreas

(The Kettenkrad has a hand crank, too! It is over 1 metre long and you
have to crank the vehicle from the rear side.)