Re: [MV] Rubicon

Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Fri, 29 May 1998 20:03:03 +0200

=09Gordon.W.I. McMillan schrieb:
> Rubicon - river in northern Italy ( I think) the crossing of which
> signalled that Caesar intended to take control of Rome and defy the
> Senate. Allegorical reference to something that is difficult to
> cross, or impossible to step back from once done.

Dear Gordon,

exactly that is it! To have crossed the Rubicon means until today
that you have passed the point of no return.

When Caesar crossed the river Rubicon in 49 b.c., this was a declaration
of war to the senate. After this, there were only two possibilities
for him: Victory and becoming emperor of Rome, or death.
Caesar won the cicil war and became emperor.

(What is MV related? Caesar used horse-drawn MVs, as seen in "Ben Hur"!)

Regards from Germany
Andreas