[MV] Free a FROZEN ENGINE/M38A1

A.Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Tue, 2 Jun 98 14:52 +0100

>Next step I think is to pull head and beat pistons into submission
>with sledge and 2x4--- unless you wonderful folks might have
>something up your collective sleeves to break it loose. Patiently
>waiting for a miracle

Pull the head off, but don't use the sledge!
If you want to free the pistons, disconnect the conrods from the
crankshaft, then remove crankshaft. Close the top of the cylinder bloc
with a flat steel plate (5-6 mm, 1/4" thick). Make sure there is a
connector for a grease gun on top of each cylinder. Take your grease
gun and fill the cylinder with grease. The pressure of the grease gun
will push the pistons down and out of the cylinder.

To avoid damage of crankshaft and conrods, remove crankshaft before.
This makes you also sure, that it is mot a bearing, which is frozen
and blocs the engine.

I've freed the corroded piston of my JUNAK motorbike this way.

Regards
Andreas