From: CJSamp@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 00:37:10 EDT
To: ack@skylee.com
Subject: Japanese WWII Type 97 Tanks on Display

Subj: IJA Armor clubs, Tank info and WWII japanese armor interests
Date: 98-06-04 00:16:00 EDT
From: CJSamp

Hello:

I am stationed at Camp San Luis Obispo, CALF, USA and we have two Japanese
Type 97 Medium Tanks on display here. I have some nice jpg's of them. They
were armed with the 37mm canon, and one 7.7mm mg. They are a later model, as
the antenea is a whip style, not the rail style as used by 1942 type 95 & 97
on Guadalcanal (in action against US Marines).

These tanks were captured by the 40th Infantry Division, US Army under Gen
McCarthur in the Phillipines during 1944-45. An Armored Division was used in
a piecemeal fashion by the japanese, but the 37mm canon and light armor of the
japanese tanks were no match for the M4 Sherman w/ 75mm canon used by US
forces. These tanks do not show Armor Piercing rounds impact/ holes, but do
show a thermite grenade damage to the final drive/ transmission of one of
them.

Anyway, if you could post this email, and let others know of this display I
would be very grateful.

Sincerely,

Sergeant First Class (SFC)
Chris Samp, CJSamp@aol.com