Re: [MV] Shrinking Metal

CHAZ (chaz.mackenzie@virgin.net)
Thu, 04 Jun 1998 13:18:52 +0100

Gordon.W.I. McMillan wrote:

> I have also seen a guy, who really knew what he was doing, use some
> sort of spot welder as the heating equipment - never quite figured out
> how it was supposed to work but the did shrink a sprung dent in the
> centre of a door panel with it. Gordon

Hi, the spot welder you describe is for spot welding trim studs to panels
and short wires or washers which are then used to pull the dent out with
a sliding hammer. There is a shrinking attachment for these welders, it's
a brass tube 1" dia. with a spring loaded central electrode. You hold this
against the dent and pull the trigger, the current flowing from the centre
electrode through the panel to the tube heats the area covered by the tube.
This is easy compared to traditional hot shrinking and more effective.
The pressure of you holding the welder against the dent helps to move the
excess metal towards the centre which reduces the amount of dressing to
a couple of hits to remove the nipple thats left. The problem with these
welders is the cost £450 + tax and the fact that I moved house and can
no longer borrow one.........

Chaz
Scotland
42 MB