Re: [MV] DMV inspection in Ct.

SBJohnston@aol.com
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 11:19:35 EDT

Robert wrote:

>on top of that I must remove the data plate from the
>glove box door and hand it in to the inspector.

This is absurd - you had to surrender your property to the inspector??
Original Mil Veh data plates are valuable items.

An engine number as serial number?? Engines come and go as they are worn out
and replaced, even on civilian cars and trucks. The chassis/body/VIN type
numbers seem much more "permanent" to me.

Would they ask a guy with a fancy car that had a non-original engine to tear
the VIN plate out of its mount on the top of dash? I doubt it. I would
definitely escalate my complaints up the bureaucratic ladder and try to get my
data plate back. Perhaps your state senator/rep could help cut thru the
nonsense...

Mike in VA wrote:

>It also sounds to me like when you are in an anal
>area, you might better research what is expected of you??
>I mean like go to a station that you may or may not be
>taking your vehicle to and ask exactly what
>they will be looking for, at etc.

Often, the problem seems to center on arbitrary "judgements" by inspectors,
and the bureaucrats that run the system. Hard and fast rules are hard to come
by in many states.

Here in PA the DOT is somewhat screwy overall, but things seem generally OK
for the old-MV enthusiast. For my M38 I got an "antique" registration plate
which is inexpensive and permanent, plus as far as I know, no inspections
required. They freaked out a bit about the 2 photos I supplied because they
require 4 shots, head on, each side, and straight on the rear. My 2 were shot
from the front driver corner and rear passenger corner. When I pointed out
that you could see everything they needed, they relaxed and all was well.

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com