Fw: [MV] Tire Size

Chuck Chriss (cchriss@ix.netcom.com)
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 11:04:48 -0700

To try to help, here is a link to a page called "How to Read a Sidewall"
with all the tire dimension information for radial tires:

http://www.coopertire.com/tires/info/sidewall.htm

Then from the Dunlop tire site, this information about the older numeric
system:

"Numeric: This is the oldest standardized tire sizing system for passenger
car tires. When this system was adopted, tire aspect ratios were either 92
or 82. For example, a 7.00-14 tire has a section width of 7 inches, a rim
diameter of 14 inches and an aspect ratio of 92. The low profile equivalent
size tire with an aspect ratio of 82 would be 7.35-14."

So the 9.00-16 military tire has a 9 inch section width with a 16 inch rim
diameter. The tire height above the rim would be (guess) .92 x 9 = 8.28
inches.

I put links to these tire information sites onto www.olive-drab.com under
the Military Vehicle WWW resources page.

Hope this helps,
chuck@olive-drab.com
MVPA 547C