[MV] Re: Tire size

Chuck Chriss (cchriss@ix.netcom.com)
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 13:36:19 -0700

Gil:
Thanks for the thought-provoking response. So the tape shows 9' 4 1/8"
around your 9.00-16 tire. That would mean the tire diameter is 35.69 inches
(112 1/8 divided by Pi) minus the rim size of 16" implies a height of 9.85
inches (one half of 35.69 minus 16). 9.85 divided by 9.00 gives 109 as the
aspect ratio. If you run the aspect ratio the other way (w/h) then it comes
out .9137 which is about right -- but I don't think they ever state aspect
ratio as width over height.

The Dunlop site says aspect ratios of .92 and .82 are the ones used, but
maybe that is not the only way to build a tire. Is your sidewall marked
9.00-16?? Is it a "high profile" model? I don't know what the right
explanation is.

Thanks for bringing this up -- it helps a lot to get all the info out on the
table. And I will add a link to your site with the RPM tables to the www
resources section of www.olive-drab.com. That is a valuable resource.

Best,
chuck
-----Original Message-----
From: Gil Huguley <Gil@huguley.com>
To: cchriss@ix.netcom.com <cchriss@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sunday, June 07, 1998 12:43 PM
Subject: Tire size

>Chuck,
>
>I was wondering what changing to 4.89 gears would do to the engine RPM on
my M37. I needed to know how many times a tire would revolve in a mile, so
I measured the circumference. I jacked up a rear wheel and pulled a tape
around the tire. Came up with 9-ft, 4 1/8-inches (approx 9.343'). I tried
your formula 9.00 x .92 = 8.28"
>One 16-in rim plus 8.28 x 2 = a tire diameter of 32.56 inches. Multiplied
by a pi of 3.1459 gives a circumference of 102.43 inches or 8.536 feet.
Either my tires do not have an aspect ratio of .92 or your info is suspect.

>My tires are not military NDTs, they are a commercial 9.00 x 16LT Power
King brand mfg. by ?? Don't know if that makes a difference in your
calculations.

>Anyway, it is an interesting topic for conversation. I think that the more
we learn about our vehicles the better off the hobby will be.

visit my site at http://www.huguley.com.