Re: [MV] Paint removal on Ferrets

Ron Johanson (rojoha@mediaone.net)
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 09:36:43 -0400

Hi Ken:
If you can get the plate off, try soaking it in a small Pyrex baking dish ,
filled deep enough to cover the plate, with one of the following:
a) Methylethelketone or "MEK" or
b)Methlylene Chloride
Both can be found in quart cans at most larger home centers, hardware stores
or paint stores. USE ONLY ONE AT A TIME !!!
Just drop the plate in the solution and wait about 5 min-- the paint should
start to wrinkle up and come off in sheets I used two Pyrex dishes -- one solution
in each one,and moved the plate back and forth until each paint layer lifted off.
Use pliers or tweezers to move the plates and cover the pans while doing this---
these chemicals are carcinogenic, bad for the ozone and evaporate like crazy and
dry your skin by sucking out the skin oils , but then again, we all have to make
sacrifices to restore MV's. Keep the dishes out of direct sunlight (to slow
evaporation loss )and avoid breathing the vapors( like ,don't do it in the
kitchen) or you will get wicked buzz followed by exploding frontal lobes .
Other solvents that can be useful for these types of jobs are:
c) Acetone
d) Toluene
Both are available at the same places and are VERY flammable. Read and follow
the label directions and " if you should grow a third hand from the middle of your
forehead, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your project" but you will
find it handy as hell working that vacuum operated wiper on long upgrades !!
I used this method on three M38A1 Willy's MD data plates (the one behind the
passenger seats) and they all came out super. I just wish I could remember where I
put two of them for safe keeping so they wouldn't get lost. Damn chemicals.
Keep on stripping
!
Regards, Ron
Johanson