Re: [MV] Aberdeen Visit

Douglas Greville (dgrev@apollo.ruralnet.net.au)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 22:26:26 +0930

> Sure, it's worth the trip to visit if you're into armor. They have
> lots and lots
> of armored vehicles on display outdoors.

I was there in 1987, which is admittedly a while back now. At the time
they were putting down the concrete pads for the AFV's to sit on.
The condition of the vehicles was exactly what you would expect for
something that had been abused, cut up and then parked in the weather
for 50 or so years. The paniers, bins, barrel brush holders etc on the
vehicles were nearly all eaten out with rust and falling apart.
There was a Nebelwerfer that looked like it was about to disappear
as a pile of rust.
Someone, please tell me that these vehicles are undercover and being
restored now (other than the Tiger that is now in Germany)?

> There is also a very nice indoor
> museum that features all kinds of things.
> display, but I do remember Viet Nam booby traps, various uniforms and
> small arms. Be sure to check out "Tank Row".

No tanks inside unfortunately. The small arms collection is very
impressive and is such a contrast to the decrepit AFV's outside:
whoever put the indoor display together appears to have been very
thorough.

Just standing next to that Rail Gun is an experience. At the time I was
there in a fenced off section with over head cover was a V2 and it's
ancillary equipment!

Regards
Doug

Armoured Vehicles Collector
_______
_/_(_o_)_\_ ____
_/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
/ [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
|w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
M8 Ferret

dgrev@ruralnet.net.au

Web Armour site at: http://Fast.to/DG