RE: [MV] RE Ford tank engine

A.Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Tue, 16 Jun 98 16:43 +0100

>One feature about the Ford GAA and GAN engines that drives me nuts about todays
>cars is as follows: The Ford was a hemi-head, 4 valve/cyl with dual overhead
>cams. So far, so good. It had the feature that the cams were driven by a shaft
>from the crank to the cams. One shaft ran up the front of each bank. There was
>a bevel gear on each end. No belts to break or replace, no chain to adjust etc.
>The way an OHC engine SHOULD be built!

Yes, but only if you can afford this! Do you want to pay lots of extra
$$$$$ for the royal (king) shafts to the cams and a lot of extra
work and skill for maintaining the bevel gears. I own a NSU 500 cc
motorbike with shaft driven OHC, I know what I say.

And the bevel gears are producing a lot of noise.

So don't speak too bad about timing belts.

Regards
Andreas
-Graduated engineer for combustion engines-