Re: [MV] Ford V-8 tank engine

Geoff Winnington-Ball (whiskey@netwave.ca)
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:17:30 -0400

I thought we'd covered this? The Ford GAA tank engine was an evolution of
the Ford 12-cyl aircraft engine in development in the thirties. It was NOT
an Allison. Allison stuck to aircraft engines, powering, amongst others, the
P-38 Lightning, P-40 and early versions of the P-51. Ford's GAA engine
powered the Ford-manufactured M4A3 Sherman, of which some 4800 were
manufactured. Anyone care to add?

Geoff