Re: [MV] Saving Pvt. Ryan

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 23:06:13 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Schultz <schultz@inficad.com>
To: Paul Madden <pmadden@sous.com>; mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 25 June 1998 08:17
Subject: Re: [MV] Saving Pvt. Ryan

Eminent listers,

I have just spoken with a recognised authority here on German W.W.II
vehicles, he is well known to one of the contracted major vehicle suppliers
and attended some of the shoots, later the vehicles were inspected, they are
now stored quite close by to me apparently.

I am reliably informed as follows:

The Tigers are T 34's re-worked and are very good "replicas", although only
80% of the size of the real thing this is easily compensated in filming and
the purists should be well pleased, lets face it real ones effectively don't
exist.

The Marder I and III were ex-Swedish Army being PzK 38's originally, in the
timescale the barrel of the I had to be modified to make a passing image and
you will not notice that it is a diesel re-power, Czech OT 810's were
reworked properly into Sdkfz 251's.

The remaining vehicles are absolutely correct and original. Attention to
detail was also apparent in the uniforms which are very, very good indeed.
A substantial quantity of prosthetics were made for the blown-off body
parts, the realism may go too far for some apparently.

I'm told the story-line is, well, a story line; some aspects are thought to
be forced into the script because of who the director is. . . . . . .

So I am told.

Regards,

Richard
(Southampton UK)