Re: [MV] WWII Barrage Balloon

SBJohnston@aol.com
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 16:30:23 EDT

Rob wrote:

>Among the knowledgeable listers, what were they
>filled with? I would guess it might be pretty pricey
>to buy enough helium to fill a barrage balloon

I seem to remember reading about "hydrogen generators" used to fill balloons
in WWII. A chemical reaction was started that gives off hydrogen which was
piped into the balloon. I don't have any references for it - just something
from memory.

Judging by my experiences with medium to large size promotional balloons, you
wouldn't need 100% helium to get it up (so to speak) - I bet could be mixed
in some lesser proportion with air.

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com