Re: [MV] The MVPA Tobyhanna page

SBJohnston@aol.com
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 18:52:37 EDT

Mike Sommer wrote:

>An open letter to MVPA... re the MVPA Tobyhanna page...
>you took up a lot of space to say not very much... How
>can us non-member MV types like myself ... who
>usually don't have time to go to conventions make any
>decisions with a page like that?

I agree with your comments on the web page -- It was not very informative. In
fact, the only thing I choose to print out for future reference was the map of
the nearby highways (which was actually from a link to the Tobyhanna Depot
website).

>Your best bet is to open the doors all week so that
>everybody gets a chance to come and explore.

Even as a MVPA member I had to question the policy of allowing non-members on
Saturday only -- it seems pointlessly self-limiting. When I got to the show I
learned that this policy was not being enforced. The web page made it sound
like non-members were not welcome, so I'm sure that many people that would
have otherwise come stayed home.

Even as a member I had my difficulties at the show. I was repeatedly told by
individual parts sellers that they had had my "most-wanted" items when they
came to the show but those items were sold to "dealers" in the first hour or
so. But then the dealers said they "didn't bring any of those", and so on.
Sigh... par for the flea-market course, I guess ... but it shows how limiting
the deals might be for someone who can only get in on Saturday.

>The Association should be people friendly if it wants
>popular support.

I agree, but I wonder if perhaps our organization doesn't really want "popular
support". The harsh reaction from some members to your "open letter" seems
to indicate a closed, "mind your own business", join-us-or-shut-up attitude.
I find it interesting when mild, well-reasoned criticism such as yours is met
with such strong, overly defensive reactions like those.

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com