Re: [MV] The MVPA Tobyhanna page

JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 00:34:57 -0000

john@astory.com
http://www.astory.com

----------
> From: SBJohnston@aol.com
> To: Mil-Veh@skylee.com
> Subject: Re: [MV] The MVPA Tobyhanna page
> Date: Saturday, August 08, 1998 10:52 PM
>

> Mike Sommer wrote:
>
> >An open letter to MVPA... re the MVPA Tobyhanna page...
> >you took up a lot of space to say not very much... How
> >can us non-member MV types like myself ... who
> >usually don't have time to go to conventions make any
> >decisions with a page like that?
>
> I agree, but I wonder if perhaps our organization doesn't really want
"popular
> support". The harsh reaction from some members to your "open letter"
seems
> to indicate a closed, "mind your own business", join-us-or-shut-up
attitude.
> I find it interesting when mild, well-reasoned criticism such as yours is
met
> with such strong, overly defensive reactions like those.

It was great to meet with some of the people who write to this list at
Tobyhanna. Thanks for stopping by and talking about projects, the
me-wants, and thanks for taking some of those wonderful Russian Radios off
my hands. The show, despite the best efforts of a few, was a really great
show. Lots of interesting people.

But I have to agree with some of the criticism. My neighbors were not the
most friendly types. I also heard from some long time members about how
bad the economy was, and how there were waves of people back in the early
80's, and nobody bought anything anymore. When I reminded this person that
the MB air cleaner on his table for $150.00 used to cost $10.00 in the
early 80's, the guy got a look on his face like a frog lookin' at a
wristwatch. That is the real reason for the change in attendance. This
has become an expensive hobby. It is easy to convince some one to bite a
$1000.00 bullet for a jeep, but harder to convince them to take the
$8000.00 bite on one mostly restored.

And auto crushing. Did it really net the MVPA any new members? Did it
really inspire someone to go out and save that junk jeep in his neighbor's
backyard? Did it inspire some one to get out the check book and buy that
Sherman for $45,000?
Would jeep rides over an off road trail have gotten more members? Can we
be more creative in attempting to get the public out? Certainly.

For me, it was all about being in a shopping mall for missing Carryall
knicks and knacks. And I got to meet Bob Brown, GTB Guru, and ask him
about the front wheel drive question we spoke here on the list. I talked
with several Carryall owners, going through the throes of restoration. And
a WWII vet of the 34th Division in Italy spent an hour of his time telling
me how he was wounded and evacuated after he found out I am a medic. It
was great. I wish I could do it every weekend. The event was superb, the
organization was adequate, but could use work like all volunteer endeavors.